ONLINE BOOK REVIEW TOUR: A HEAD FULL OF MAGIC



Welcome to Online Book Review Tour! This event is organized by Literally PR to promote the newly released middle grade book entitled A Head Full of Magic by Sarah Morrell.

Without further ado, this is my review for A Head Full of Magic.


HELPING SIR BARCLAY WIGBERT TITUS SMYTHE

——



Hi friends, welcome to my space and Ramadan Mubarak to my muslim friends.

Today, I will invite you to meet Sir Barclay Wigbert Titus Smythe. Who is he? Well, you're gonna find out. But now, I'm telling you this, he needs help to find a special someone!


A Head Full of Magic by Sarah Morrell


"A Hexter is someone who has magic." Nan smiled at me. "Like you."

Fleur is used to balancing her two different cultures - from her English Mum to her West Indian Nan - but when she discovers that she can talk to animals she finds herself in a whole new world! Can her new powers help her take down Celeste The Best' the hockey-loving, ankle-smashing new girl, once and for all?


This is a middle grade book about the life of Fleur Marie Bottom. Fleur is just a normal primary school girl. She is smart and she has friends who love her until one day comes Celeste Morton. She hates Fleur. From the moment Fleur meets Celeste, she feels that Celeste is rude to her and she is not a good person. But Celeste is so good at putting up faces so all the teachers and her friends love her. So, even if Celeste is mean to her, like hitting her feet with the hockey stick on purpose, no one blames her. They will be like "Just forgive her, Fleur. She makes a mistake". Fleur never knows why she hates her so. But, everything has a reason, right?

Fleur lives with her mother and her grandmother, who she calls Nan. Her grandfather passed away and because of the grief, her father left their home (or so they thought...). Nan has a parrot, his name is Sir Barclay Wigbert Titus Smythe (yes, my friends! Sir Barclay is a bird) who one day, suddenly, can talk. At first, she thinks Sir Barclay just says the words that her grandmother has taught him, but then she realizes that he speaks to her. It feels weird at first, she even tries to ignore him, but Sir Barclay is very annoying and the next thing she knows, she is already bickering with a parrot. One day, Sir Barclay asks a favor to Fleur because she is the only person he knows that can talk with animals. He asks her to find someone or in this case, a bird.

I think the main theme of this story is about bullying. It has brought up from the beginning of the book until the end. Bullying is a heavy stuff, but the author wraps this story up with sprinkles of magic and that makes it more delightful.

The plot twists are amazing! I didn't see it coming and that took me by surprise. Most of the books which I read recently were predictable, so when I read this, it felt like a breath of fresh air. THANK GOD!

I love all of the characters from this book. They come so alive and I feel like I "know" them even though there are not much of descriptions. The way they react at certain conditions is enough to show their personalities.

I like how the characters develop throughout the story. It feels natural, like they are not just suddenly become a good or bad person, but you can see the process and the reasons why they become who they are. Like Celeste, I end up liking her (apparently, she has a tough life!), and Fleur...I love her. Even though she is bullied at school, and because of that sometimes she feels insecure, she still tries to do her best in study and hockey, and she is also still being this happy sprit around her friends and family. In the meantime, she has to balance everything out with her new ability. She has to learn how to control it, but also, she has to hide her ability from other people. Also, don't forget this book star, that is Sir Barclay! The story will not perfect without him.



The way I love this book is different than my other favorite books. This book feels close to me because I was Fleur. I was bullied at school, around Fleur age in fact, and it was tough. Just like Fleur, I also scared to tell my family or teachers about it. So...thank you author for writing this book. I hope throughout this book children who have difficulties with their school life will get the messages that it's not good to bottle up their problems and just because some people hate you, it doesn't mean the whole world hates you. Someday, you will meet a lot of great friends. Also, for adults, I hope this book can give you some awareness to pay more attention to your children.

Anyway...I hope you all will read this book and like it. HAPPY READING!


So, that is my review. Please see reviews from other participants as well. Have a good day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT IS NOT ABOUT RELIGION, IT'S A LIFE STORY

IF YOU LIKE ONE OF US IS LYING